Saturday, July 5, 2008
I've been tagged by Vonnie
Here's my answers to some questions about my favorite books:
1.Do you remember how you developed a love for reading?
My sister's future first grade teacher wanted her to learn to read a little (we had no kindergarten in the country, so she sent a stack of Dr. Seuss books for her to learn basic reading before school started. I thought that if I learned to read also, I'd get to go to school with her. I taught myself to read the books and then presented myself to Mom on my sister's first morning for school. "I'm ready. I can read." It broke my heart to learn that was NOT the only criteria to be allowed to go to school.
2. What are some books you read as a child?
Dr. Seuss, The Piano, The Robe, Jane Eyre, Bobbsey Twins, The Secret Garden, A Lantern in Her Hand, The Little House on the Prairie books, and any book I wanted to read in the Jr. High library. (I'd read most of the Elementary books, so the librarian gave me permission to read in the Jr. High side. That's why I read "The Robe" in 6th grade! Didn't understand most of it, but read it anyway!)
3. What is your favorite genre?
If it's a book, I'm willing to read it! Some of my favorites are Mysteries, Chick-Lit, and Biographies.
4. Do you have a favorite novel? Only one?
Jane Eyre and God is an Englishman, the Mitford Series and any Dale Cramer book.
5. Where do you usually read?
Bed, bathtub, chair in living room.
6. When do you usually read?
Every night before I turn out the lights-no matter how late it is-I can't sleep without reading! If it's a good book, I'll read rather than do anything else-especially in the winter.
7. Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?
Usually, but if I'm reading a good book, I'll read it straight through without reading anything else.
8. Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?
I read nonfiction during the day. Rarely do I read it at night unless it's a biography or autobiography.
9. Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library?
I buy some, but also use the Public Library a lot, too. I can check out and read several books in four week's time!
10. Do you keep most of the books you buy? If not, what do you do with them?
I keep most of my books, but I sometimes put them in garage sales or send them to Goodwill.
11. If you have children, what are some of the favorite books you have shared with them?
We read all of the Frog and Toad books, the Chapter books, the Boxcar Children, the Classics, Dr. Seuss, Little House books, etc.
12. What are you reading now?
Jane Eyre (for the hundreth time!) and a chicklit book that I can't remember the title of!
13. Do you keep a TBR (to be read) list?
No, but I can't wait to read Jan Karan's latest or the latest Sisterchick book. ( :
14. What’s next?
Jan Karan's latest or the Sisterchicks in Britain (or something like that!)
15. What books would you like to reread?
I like to get all the Mitford books and read them straight through. I like to read any series books straight through.
16. Who are your favorite authors?
Robin Gunn Jones, Charlotte Bronte (she has many good books besides Jane Eyre!), Jan Karan, Dale Cramer, and a local author named Gauss who writes Amish mystery stories.
Now, I have tagged Naye and Diane to answer these questions and find two other people to tag.